What is VR/AR?
VFS introduces a new progressive immersive technologies curriculum in virtual (VR) and augmented (AR) reality. Build experiential models for practical applications in a variety of rapidly evolving sectors including health care, engineering, tech, education, real estate, and entertainment. Enhance your art, design, programming and storytelling skills while solving real world workplace challenges with applied industry applications.
About the Course
Learn how to create immersive experiences for the industry of your choice. Using the Unreal and Unity Game Engines, you will learn everything it takes to create a VR/AR experience from the design and research phase, to asset creation, to programming and production.
Who should join this program?
- People who want to apply their technical and artistic skills to solve real world problems in various industries beyond games and entertainment.
- People who are working in industries disrupted by innovative technologies and want to get ahead of the curve. (Real Estate, Finance, Health Care…etc.)
- 8 months
- 14 courses
- Date: January 6, 2020 - August 21, 2020 (CAD 22,000 domestic/CAD 33,000 international)
- 19 years of age or older
- Successful completion of high school or GED equivalent (bachelor’s degree preferred)
- Prior learning (e.g., secondary, post-secondary or other) in computing and/or digital media are preferred
- Familiarity with Unity and/or Unreal Game Engines is an asset
- Submit at least 1 example of source code along with a 1 page document that describes the code
- Submit 2-3 examples of 3D animation or modeling
For more about language requirements and other information for international students, visit the International Students page.
- Trends in VR/AR Development
- Human Centred Design
- Asset Creation for VR/AR
- Unity 1
- Unreal 1
- Production Team
- Data Structures & Algorithms
- Understanding VR/AR
- User Experience and Interface Design
- VR/AR Client Project
- Unity 2
- Unreal 2
- Data Visualization
- Final Project
- Final Project Polish and Presentation Lab
The VR/AR Economy
The creative economy is increasingly digital, mobile, and interactive. From film production and 3D animation to game, digital, and VR/AR design, VFS is at the heart of the entertainment and media industries’ transformation. With growing industrial, visualization, and training applications, the worldwide VR/AR market size expected to reach US$814.7 billion by 2025. The B.C. Tech Association estimates 35,000 new VR/AR jobs will need to be filled in the province by 2021.
FX Supervisor, 3D Artist, Level Designer, Unreal Software Engineer, Game Engineer, UX Designer, UI Designer, Information Architect, UX Engineer, Concept Artist, Producer, VR/AR/MR Developer, Graphic Designer, Virtual Experience Designer, Prototyper, Computer Vision Manager, Interaction Designer, Technical Animator.
Education, Aerospace and Defense, Commercial, Civic, Tech, Health Care, Manufacturing, Design, Architecture, Real Estate, Entertainment.
Sign up for VFS Premiere, the best way to be first-in-line at Vancouver Film School. Membership is free, just opt-into our e-mail list and you’ll get exclusive first-look access before everyone else.